A night-time stroll around the old part of the city is something that will stay with you forever. The atmosphere’s magical, the city walls full of the history of Castile, and there’s an air of monastic calm. The Canonjías district in Segovia, in the heart of the old quarter, is one of very few examples of Romanesque civil architecture in Spain. Strategically situated between the cathedral and alcazar fortress, there’s no doubt that it’s one of the places in Segovia that exudes the most mystery. There was a time when this was one of the most exclusive parts of the city thanks to the special privileges afforded to the residents by the king. The houses, many of which are built on bare rock, were inhabited by clergymen, and it was forbidden to have beautiful women living in them, or so the story goes. The district used to have three gates that were closed at night. Today only one is left, the Claustra gate. The other two were removed to enable an easier passage for the entourage of Phillip II on their way to the Alcazar, where he went to ratify his marriage with his cousin, Anna of Austria, on November 14, 1570.